Tuesday 8 April 2014

Evaluation Question- (1) DRAFT

The Title of the Magazine- I used a similar style of title for my magazine. It's short and punchy that gets straight to the point. It also shows what the magazine is aiming to do. For example 'Clash' is showing the clash between two different styles of music and fashion whilst 'Static' shows that its going to be electronic/techno with the addition of an oriental look/style.
Graphology/Page Layouts- I have used an E/F layout on my magazine front cover with more focus on the E layout as the masthead, cover lines and main cover lines follow this line. This follows the the layout of 'Clash' however it is left aligned whilst my magazine is centre aligned.
Costume,props,iconography used to reflect genre- I used an Oriental/Japanese style costume for my model with no props. The iconography of this costume is innocence that doesn't normally suit the genre however it does suit the overall artist and internal article that I used for my double page spread. It doesn't clash with the colours on the front cover either.
Camerawork and framing of images- The framing of the shots are similar with them both being mid shots however I chose to keep my shot relevant to the genre. The shot paired with the costume and pose accurately portrays the genre of the magazine. This uses the common media convention of Continuity which is critical for for a magazine as it wouldn't have a natural flow, something that I feel mine has.
Title, Header, Article etc Font and Style- The font for the title has an oriental theme. The style of the font has oriental connotations and this paired with the colour keeps the genre of Oriental/Electro. The Cover Lines on the Cover of the magazine represents the style of the genre and also the artist. This font was used elsewhere in a cult film which also links to the artist that speaks a lot about Technology and other types of Modern popular culture. The font for the article along with the contents page is very formal which contrasts with the Masthead font and the main cover lines. The formality of the helps to break up the magazine and give it purpose.    
Genre and how the magazine cover,contents and double page spread suggests it- The genre is suggested in the cover of the magazine from the artists mentioned in the cover lines and also the main cover lines with the quotation 'Rising Electric' suggesting that a brand new electric star could be on the horizon. The content displayed in the Contents Page also shows the genre of electro but the overall design doesn't show it as much as the front cover of the magazine. The colours used in the contents page are an electric/neon pink which can be linked to the electro/oriental genre and style of the magazine. In the double page spread I have included the colour used on the front cover and contents page to keep the continuity of the genre and have also repeated the font used in the Main Cover Lines of the Front Cover. This not only keeps the continuity of the genre but also the artist that I have featured.
How your artist is represented- I have represented my artist as an edgy new artist that doesn't want to conform to the mainstream expectations of an artist like her. I have portrayed my artist as a role model to the age range that would be reading my magazine. I also tried to make my artist like an everyday person that people can relate to easily. The inclusion of pop culture such as video games, comics and movies that people may have seen helps to build up this relationship between the reader and the artist.
Colour Scheme- I have kept my colour scheme very basic with a  Black/White/Pink scheme. I used this colour scheme to make the Pink colour distinct throughout the magazine. The black and white colour scheme used throughout the magazine adds a formal element to the magazine that I was aiming to portray in my magazine. I feel that the sophisticated feel of the magazine is apparent because of these colours.
With my oriental theme I have challenged the conventions of mainstream magazines and have appealed to a very niche audience that would be interested in a new and different product like my magazine. The genre of the music I have included in my magazine directly links the theme of the magazine. Conforming to these conventions would go against what my magazine stands for as the whole magazine is based against the mainstream style of music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment