Sunday 19 January 2014

Colour Palettes

(Anti Clockwise) 1st Palette- The first palette has a mix of vibrant colours and a creamy white colour. The definition is the colours are great with with each colour matching the others well. The choice of green/pink and dark red/blue is great with both colours complimenting each other. The cream colour acts as a neutral colour in the mix, which is  The vibrant colours would fit well with the oriental/eastern theme of my magazine but not as much with the electro side.
2nd Palette- This is a very feminine palette which uses a lot of pinks and bright colours. This is the case for all but one of the colours, which you can see is a black/grey colour. This would have been put here to create a contrast for the other colours. This palette is also suitable for my magazine as it suits the eastern theme and also starts to implement the electro theme with the darker colour.
3rd Palette- This palette is a lot darker and more futuristic/techno which would suit my magazine. I feel that the purple colour included in the palette also links to the oriental theme. Using this colour palette throughout my magazine would give it a good variety and allow it to always fit the theme and genre that I am aiming for. This is a very calm colour scheme that wouldn't fit in any other music magazine except something like mine.
4th Palette- The fourth palette is a very calming palette that has aspects of  strong red colours. This fits almost perfectly with the oriental theme but not so much with the electro theme. I could use this palette in my double page spread but not as my front cover because of the fact it doesn't fit my genre. I don't think you would find this on any other magazines but you may find it as a colour scheme in a house etc.
5th Palette- The palette uses very mellow colours except when it comes to the grey and black. These colours are used to anchor the other lighter colours and give them purpose in a magazine. If the palette was only made up of light colours then you wouldn't be able to capture the strong elements that the lighter colours bring to the palette. This could be used in my magazine as the black and grey bring an electro/industrial feel to the palette that would be useful in my magazine.
6th Palette-This is the first palette to use a strong fiery red. This paired with the green, two shades of blue and purple/maroon colour helps to create a strong eastern oriental theme which I am aiming for in my magazine. The blues give good contrast to the red and maroon colour which I feel that I need in my magazine to show the difference between the two topics of electro and oriental. I think this is a great palette that would be useful to me somewhere in my magazine if not the front page.
7th Palette- This palette is much like the other pink and purple palettes but as you can see this one is coupled with a very industrial grey that would suit my genre of electro. The colour palette is quite odd as I first though that it may suit a grunge magazine with the use of the grey but as I progressed the pink colours started to appear. I then thought that this palette would not suit any sort of magazine. I don't think I will use this in any capacity in my magazine.
8th Palette- This palette is very stylised to look like a Oriental Garden with the use of greens and pink apparent. Again I think that this shows the oriental theme but not the electro theme. The mix of the greens and pink are effective and the use of the cream colour as a neutral anchor is very effective but not what I am looking for in my magazine.
9th Palette- This palette is a Neapolitan coloured palette that I could use in my magazine for an article maybe. This palette has good contrast between all the colours the main contrasting pair being the brown and pink. This is a very commercial palette that is used frequently in different forms. This is a very versatile, strong palette that can be used almost for anything.
10th Palette- This final palette has a good balance of the oriental theme and also an industrial theme.  There is good contrast and compliments between the five colours which creates a very nice, easy to look at palette. I don't think I will use this in my magazine as it does not suit either of the genres as much as I wanted it to.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent research/analysis into colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have gone into good detail about all of the pallets and therefore this creates a good analysis of colours and how they would work with your magazine and the genre that your creating.

    ReplyDelete