Friday 31 January 2014

Draft Article

The emergence of the home-grown Leicester star, Einem, has radically changed the electronic music scene. Her new album, ‘Condemned to Repeat’, brings a different spin to the traditional electronic genre with an eastern influence. Something that has never been seen before, has been attempted by this young upstart.
"I just wanted to try something different, alternative you could say!"
After the controversial first album, 'Imitate each other', people were expecting something different and new as this was part of her character. "People were surprised with my first album, I started to get strange looks in the street, I couldn't believe it!"
With public interest rising in the artist,  problems with the authorities are inevitable .
“Drugs played a large part in the creation of my music. I wouldn’t go out for weeks on end. It was not a great time in my life.” 
“Avoid them kids! Just get a… pug or something!
Pop culture, including comics and Films/TV, were massive influences for Caspar which explains the un-conventional track names such as ‘Fran Pilgrim’ and ‘ The Walking Bread’.
“I started reading comics from a really early age actually! The old Batman’s and Iron Man’s were great! They really affected me as a child, made me feel like a hero of sorts.”
“As for films, the original Tron was my favourite! I think it was so original and could have been the start of my love for technology.”
“Gaming also played a big part in my childhood. The PS1 was probably the biggest influence for me. It really introduced me to the electro music that we take for granted nowadays! Gaming also offered me that escape from real life that I needed from my home life.”
Caspar Einem had a childhood where she would always be told ‘No’ or ‘You can’t have that’ which she blames her rebellious attitude on.
“I guess I was a very sheltered child and I think this was good for me. It really prepared me for the low times of life and trust me I’ve had many!”
I wanted to talk to Caspar about the new album in more detail but she was quite defensive over her work.
“I just wanted to do something different? Is that a crime now or something?! People seem to be really aggressive to new music now!”
I quickly moved off this obviously touchy subject and moved onto something less controversial… other people’s music. Caspar has always praised other artists, whatever genre they are, for taking brave new steps in the way of musical progression. She even includes different genre elements in her music for example in ‘Fran Pilgrim’, quite a lot of classical elements are implemented into this odd tune.
  Yeah I feel that other genre’s should be implemented into a genre that is the total opposite of itself. ‘Fran Pilgrim’ was a massive risk for me that I hope pays off. I really like the eastern/oriental style of music as well even though it’s becoming more main-stream. I think I might use this very soon…”
‘Is that a hint to something new already!’
“Well you’ll just have to wait and see, it could be a tour, it could be an EP… All will be revealed soon.”

1 comment:

  1. This is a good start Harry. Re-word "upstart" as it has negative connotations e.g. pretentious. I think your article needs to include more of the writer's voice - occasionally you use "I..." but this isn't enough. Set the scene where the interview takes place etc Overall I think you need to read more interviews of a similar style (and make sure you document this on your blog!).

    ReplyDelete