Saturday 18 January 2014

Font Analysis

Press Feeling Eroded- I like this font and think it would suit a grunge/rock magazine such as Kerrang etc. The font is fully capitalistic and helps grab the readers attention via this loud feature. The font has a fixed height but not solid colouring throughout the font. This could be to show that it's not traditional and 'indie' styled.
Dreamer- Dreamer is a very elegant font that has an over exaggeration on accenting. Its a very elaborate font because of this. I think that this could be used in an article in a J-Pop magazine or something similar to that genre. I would not use it in my magazine because it doe not suit the electronic side of the magazine even though it suits the eastern influence.
Mickey's School- This font is a lot like a US Campus style font which you could find on jumper or sweatshirts. This would suit a college magazine or something in that area. The font has a worn effect to it much like the 'Press feeling eroded' font is but more so in this occasion. This is a very uniform font with definition in the lines around each letter. Much like the other fonts, this font is all on one line with the height of all the letters remaining the same. I could use this in an article in my magazine maybe about something retro such as gaming or even electronic music.
Atlas Grunge- This font again is very 'grungey' and worn. This would suit a magazine like Kerrang or one of that genre. It is a lot like the first font but it is not straight and formal with lots of discrepancies in the size and placements of the letters with most of them being off centered. This again is a very individual indie styled font. I don't think this suits my magazine and I probably won't be using it in my magazine.
Gang of Three- Gang of Three is a very oriental style font and I would go so far to say that it totally influence by Chinese and Japanese culture. This is a very stereotypical font that is used on a lot of Oriental signs etc. I don't think you would find this in a magazine as there are no magazines that I know that would focus solely on a genre of music that would need to use this font. I don't think I will use this in my magazine as it appears to be more traditionally Oriental when I am aiming at a more contemporary, ahead of the curve style magazine.
Electro Harmonix- This font has the oriental charm of the previous but with a more modern twist that could be more useful to my magazine. All of the letters are drawn the style of Chinese letters with a western influence. All letters are aligned and most are the same size just orientated differently. I could use this for my front cover font as even though it's not the clearest, it does suit everything about my magazine.
Coalition- Coalition looks like a 'post apocalyptic army' font. Something that would have been used in a film like Terminator Salvation. The majority of the font is well constructed with some of it showing a worn effect on the corners. All letters are aligned formally and straight. The A does not join totally to the other side of the A giving it a modern futuristic feel which would again suit a film like the one previously mentioned but not a magazine especially not mine.
Neuropol- This font is similar to Coalition in the way that it looks like its from a movie but this font also suits a futuristic electro magazine. Some of the letters in the font aren't fully formed, giving it a digital form and feel. The whole front stays uniform with no deviation between each other. When I say that, I mean that no letter is is taller than the other. I could use this in a technology article in my magazine but definitely not as a primary front cover font as it doesn't have an Eastern influence.
Game Over- Game Over is the quintessential retro video game font which is used in different variations in almost every gaming magazine created. The versatile font has a pixelated design to it which would be useful in my magazine, just not as the main font. The font is straight yet informal which would suit my magazine.
Charlie Dotted- Charlie Dotted is a font which would be really suited to magazine as a main font because it is suited to the electro genre and also, I feel, the eastern influence as they tend to work a lot with dots etc. The uniformity of the font would also fit my magazine.

Final Verdict?
Electro Harmonix and/or Charlie Dotted


1 comment:

  1. I really like Charlie Dotted - super analysis Harry - you are clearly thinking creatively here.

    ReplyDelete