Thursday 16 January 2014

Style, name and genre of my magazine- Analysis

I have decided after extensive research to make a stylised electronic magazine called "Static.".
I have been largely influenced by magazines like Wonderland. and Clash. Wonderland. because of its functional, stylised looks and features and Clash because of it's mainstream pop roots. I have particularly taken inspiration from the Clash issue featuring Lorde. Its retro J-Pop style is much like retro electronic pop culture which my magazine is going to revolve around (Thanks to a cosplaying model).
 http://style.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/style/2013/10/lorde-clash-cover.jpg
In the picture you can see the use of 8-Bit speech bubbles as the cover lines displaying features and articles. I would like to use something similar to this as its effective and also keeps the page organised.The use of the # is also an interesting aspect of the cover that I could possibly make use of in my cover to keep the theme of electronic music etc.
If I could implement the stylistic functional features of Wonderland. and also the retro 8 bit electric side of Clash, then I feel that I would have hit my target and created something to the best of my ability.
Deciding the name of my magazine was quite hard. I needed to find the a something that suited an electronic genre and also a retro/pop culture audience. "Static." was one of my favourite names that I came up with because it unites the two audiences under one common problem which was faced in the retro era of both music and gaming.
I don't think I'll use the large font that is used on this front cover as it would move away from the stylised view that I would want to aim for. I think I will move towards a more Wonderland. styled font size which focuses more on the model used and not a big 'flashy' experience on the front page. I'd much rather have a functional magazine like Wonderland. with the style of Clash.



1 comment:

  1. Harry you have a strong sense of the direction you are taking - some really good ideas here!

    ReplyDelete